Driving Awareness, Adoptions, and Affordability
Ellen Marie Murphy, Director of Online Curriculum from SUNY Empire State College is doing some research regarding the credentialing possibilities that exist for individuals who wish to receive credit
for learning they achieve using OpenCourseWare.
For those who are not familiar with OpenCourseWare, here is a link tothe OpenCourseWare Consortium.
Ellen would like you to take just a minute or so to answer thefollowing questions regarding potential credentialing offered at you institution by emailing her Ellen.Murphy@esc.edu. Please forward to other colleagues using e-portfolios.
Imagine that an individual is studying the courses/subjects offered though the OpenCourseWare Consortium, and as they are going through their studies they are building an ePortfolio of their work, which includes artifacts of learning, blog postings and reflections ontheir work, etc. Please imagine that they are completing all of the recommended assignments as outlined in the OpenCourseWare.
1. Is it possible for a student to earn credit for studies done in this manner?
2. Does this individual need to be matriculated (enrolled) in your college in order to receive credit for their studies?
3. If your answer to question #2 was "No": can they earn credit on acourse by course basis? And if so, what is the cost, and can they receive a transcript for transfer of credit?
4. If your answer to question #2 is "Yes": Is the credit given throughan Assessment of Prior Learning, and is that credit transferrable to other institutions or must they use it to complete a degree at your
institution? Also, what is the cost?
5. If your institution accepts credits via Assessment of Prior Learning and/or Credit by Evaluation, what are total number of credits a student can receive (have accepted) towards a degree program?
6. Can a student at your institution go through OpenCourseWare courses as Independent Studies, and if so is that study treated any differently than a typical course at your institution?
Ellen Marie Murphy
Director of Online Curriculum
SUNY Empire State College
113 West Ave
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-587-2100 Ext: 2961